Return to Blog
Make Someone's Day Better
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2017
We all have those days. You know the ones: You spill your coffee, you lose a work file, you just barely miss your train. And just when you think, "Can this get any worse?", it usually does.
It's during these tense times when tiny acts of kindness mean the most - and the littlest gesture can instantly turn someone's day around. Take a look at the suggestions below on how to spread a little positivity (and why it's good for you). As the saying goes, "What goes around, comes back around." (Sorry, now you have Justin Timberlake stuck in your head)
1. Pay for someone's way. Pay for a stranger's cup of coffee or a co-workers bus fare to work.
2. Smile and wave at strangers while on your way to work. If anything, it makes them wonder who you were all day!
3. Leave a handwritten note for someone who can use it - a co-worker, a spouse or your child. Lunchboxes are a perfect place to stash the little surprise!
4. Give a hug. Hugs release oxytocin which make you feel warm and fuzzy. Which can explain why they are so addicting!
5. Offer a genuine compliment to someone whether you know them or not. Maybe you see someone dressing outside their comfort zone, encourage it and make them feel good about their new decision!
6. Hand picked flowers are so much more thoughtful than store-bought flowers! Just make sure your not clipping your neighbors first prize roses!
7. Volunteer. Have some free time tonight? Volunteer at a soup kitchen or nursing home and strike up a conversation with the people you meet!
8. Donate. Leave books your family has outgrown at reading centers and donate gently used toys and clothing to the local women's shelter.
9. While grocery shopping, help the elderly and disabled people around you reach the top shelf, bag up their groceries and help load their groceries in their car. If you see a mom with her hands full with her children, remind her she's doing a good job! Parenting is hard!
10. Hold the door! Chivalry is NOT dead!
11. If you're stuck in an elevator with someone, make nice conversation and don't just stand there awkwardly and avoid eye contact.
12. Send someone photos of them that you've found of them when you two were younger - even if it means having to take the 30 seconds to scan them on your computer, or to put them in an envelope and send them out. Now days, you can sent it though Facebook messenger (or post it on their wall)!
13. Start your spouse's car when it's hot/cold outside and let the AC/heat kick on so they an start their day in a comfortable ride. Bonus points if you shovel the snow!
14. Tell people you come into contact with throughout the day "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon", "Good night" and "Have a great day". A small smile and gesture can turn anyone's day around.
15. Don't forget to tell your children and family you love them!
We hope YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!